Translate

Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Year Of Blogging and Lessons on Perseverance

Friends,

As some of you who are reading this may realize, it has now been over one year since I started my blog, The Way of The Alpha Male. I started TWAM in May of 2013, when I was fresh out of college, as a means to jump start my writing career. Obviously, by the title of the blog, I wanted to make this a place where I could write about "guy stuff" such as outdoor adventures, historical topics, hunting, fishing, cooking meat, beer reviews, tools, dogs, trucks and movie/book recommendations etc. However, as I pointed out in Sixteen Principles of the Alpha Male, which to this day remains one of my most popular posts, this blog is also about personal growth, being positive, perseverance and being an all-around good person.

As a matter of fact, writing this blog has given me a heightened understanding of perseverance. I have learned first-hand that it takes time to establish yourself as a writer, even though I had previously been warned about that fact. But I have known for several years now that this is what I love to do, and I am still determined to make a career out of it. I am also dedicated to continuing to grow as a writer, and I will never stop working on honing my skills and mastering my craft.

In addition to writing this blog, I have also been attempting to get my foot into the door of the world of sports writing for the past five months. As I mentioned back in February, I write for Rant Sports now and specialize in covering the Detroit Tigers, a team I have been rooting for my entire life. Feel free to read my articles here.

That said, I still haven't forgotten about my blog. It is still just as important to me today as it was the day I started it. Even though the posts have not been as plentiful lately, I plan on remedying that fact as I promised in my last post. I have been doing a bit of brainstorming lately, and below you will see topics for blog posts that I plan on writing about in the very near future.

-- A review of the Sparkie Firestarter and WetFire Tinder from Revere Supply Company
-- A review of the book Appaloosa, one of my all-time favorite western novels which I have mentioned on here before. Yes, it also eventually went on to become a movie in 2008
--The mental and physical benefits of getting fresh air and exercising on a weekly basis
--Reviews of exotic game meat
--Last but not least, more stories and lessons about perseverance and having a strong mental attitude.

On one last parting note, it may surprise some to learn that I am a big fan of the 1980s hit series Miami Vice. I recently learned that Don Johnson starred in a handful of failed pilots before finally hitting it big with the role of Det. James "Sonny" Crockett. That just goes to show that one should never give up, but must continue pushing forward until their dreams become a reality.

Till next time,
BF