Translate

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cicero's "Six Mistakes of Man."

Friends,
I mentioned a few weeks ago, in my review of Frank Miniter's book The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide, that I may be doing a post on Marcus Tullius Cicero's Six Mistakes of Man at some point in the future. That day has now arrived. Cicero, a Roman Philosopher, wrote Six Mistakes of Man over two millenniums ago, and it is as relevant today as it has ever been which is quite remarkable.

Here is what Cicero advises us to steer clear of:

1. The delusion that personal gain is made by crushing others.

2. The tendency to worry about things that cannot be changed or corrected.

3. Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it.

4. Refusing to set aside trivial preferences.

5. Neglecting development and refinement of the mind, and not acquiring the habit of reading and       studying.

6. Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.

And that's all, folks.

I was going to offer a paragraph or two of my own insight underneath each of the six mistakes, but I neglected to do so, because this list is so powerful in its simplicity and I did not want to makes things complicated. To put it simply, this list speaks for itself, and not a one of the six mistakes requires a detailed explanation. Besides, I figured it was time for a more concise post, as I have just written three monster posts in a row! I hope you have enjoyed Cicero's Six Mistakes of Man, and please feel free to comment on it, and let me know which one of Cicero's six mistakes resonates with you the most.  

I also wanted to point out, as kind of a side note, that I have been writing TWAM for nearly five months now, and I am still feeling my way through it, and trying to figure out how to make all of the moving parts work together. I cover a fairly wide array of topics, and part of my blog is dedicated to positive thinking, being all you can be, and self-help & self-improvement, while another part of it is geared towards outdoor adventures, cooking meat, beer reviews, book and movie reviews etc. I just know that I really enjoy writing, and I want to make a career out of it, be a full time writer/blogger, and make a positive impact, and I am confident that it will all work out for me someday. As Jon Acuff would say, I am simply in the land of "Learning," which means I am at the stage where I am figuring out what I enjoy and what works. If you have read his book, which is entitled Start, then you know that the land of "Editing" will be the next stop for me. Anyways, thanks again for reading and for your continued support. 

Till next time,
BF