Translate

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Let's talk about Cowboy Boots


I would like to begin this post by stating that I happen to believe that every man should own at least one pair of cowboy boots even if they do not plan to wear them regularly. The photograph above shows a stylish set of Lucchese wingtips, which I have owned for nearly five years, as I was fortunate enough to receive them as a high school graduation present. I had been coveting a set of wingtip boots ever since the first time I saw The Cowboy Way when I was 11 or 12. I had noticed how Woody Harrelson's character, Pepper Lewis, was sporting a pair and I decided right then and there that I needed to possess a set of my own someday and my wish ultimately came true.

I believe it is important to make note of the sheer number of awesome guys who are, or were, known for wearing cowboy boots throughout the last century such as John Wayne, Tom Selleck, and Dale Earnhardt. Everyone, for the most part, agrees that blue jeans, coupled with a pair of cowboy boots, is as about as American as it gets. 

Cowboy boots have remained ubiquitous in the sport of baseball, our nation's favorite pastime, as well. In the 1960s and 1970s the Detroit Tigers Texas born slugger, Mr. "Stormin Norman" Cash frequently sported a pair, as did Billy Martin, the Yankees fiery and scrappy middle infielder turned manager. Nolan Ryan, the flamethrowing righty who hurled seven no hitters throughout his illustrious career, was known for sporting a pair of Justin boots as well. Moreover, Wade Boggs, Hall of Famer and member of the 3,000 hit club, was also a fellow cowboy boot wearer, and, while playing for the Red Sox, infamously, and unfortunately, injured his back on one occasion by putting them on. He consequently made Ray Holloman's "All Bizarre Injury Team" as a result of this incident. 

See the full "All Bizarre Injury Team" right here: 

From these gritty and exuberant baseball legends to my favorite country music stars of today such as George Strait, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Trace Adkins,and Blake Shelton, I believe the evidence is there to suggest that cowboy boots have remained a staple in the Alpha Male's wardrobe and likely always will.

Till next time,
BF